Saturday, February 23, 2008

Today's plan was to run down Green-line from C-line to Falls Creek and back up Mima Porter to Wedekind where I would meet John as he surveyed the bridge damage just out of Wedekind. It was sunny and the trails were in great shape on both the down and up. Just before the intersection with trail 50 I ran into patches of snow. After the intersection, the trail was covered with soggy untracted snow 1-2' deep and I started slogging through the crap up to my shins. I didn't think John should hike in this stuff and was hoping on meeting him at the first washout out of Wedekind and tell him not to go any further. But after taking over 45 min. to cover 2 miles, I arrived at Wedekind to find the road unpassible with over 2' of snow on it and just some snow cat tracks. I had told John I would be really pissed if he wasn't there, so my first thought was why he didn't meet me at trail 50 since he couldn't drive down here, so it was time for plan B, I figured I would hoof it up the road which was a longer distance but at least it was semi runnable. I actually had a nice run up to the Capitol peak junction and started down the road which was still not driveable. Right after the rock quarry, there was John with two other pickup trucks. It seems that after dropping me off, he drove about 2 miles up the road and got stuck and been there the 2 hrs it took me to run around. My timing was great, everyone was unstuck, and we were able to take off. Of course John was a wreck, and as usual, he was in worse shape even though I'd been running and slogging all this time. He hadn't eaten and didn't have anything to drink and thought he'd be spending the night out there, so we had a good laugh and chaulked it up to another great adventure in Capitol Forest.

0 comments: